Comment challenge 29 is to write a commenting guide for students. I would want to involve my students in the process of creating their own commenting guide, one that they could with their future students. The collaborative tool that I would use for this is Google Docs (because most of my students won’t have had experience with Wikis until later in the semester). I would provide students with something like the following outline and then have them make contributions to it. Since most of my students are novices, I’d give them one or two resources (probably borrowed from the 31 day comment challenge) for each bullet point to get them thinking.
- Commenting on others’ blogs
- Why comment?
- Finding blogs on which to comment
- Protocol and etiquette
- Characteristics of good and great comments
- Building your personal brand through comments
- Encouraging comments on your own blog
- Blog commenting policies
- Ways to encourage conversation
What else should I add? Which comment-related blog posts would you recommend that students read?